Kind Words from Terry Laundry, Founder of T Theory

"Parker has sent me what I consider to be the most important refinements to T Theory I have ever received from anyone in an e-mail . . . which he calls Tweaking the 13th Advance Decline T." September 29, 2010

"Parker has sent me a very interesting concept which is the NY Advance Decline line divided by the put-call ratio . . . What he's done is introduce the idea of sentiment." September 15, 2010

"Parker discovered the Money Flow Ts . . . This is something like the Holy Grail in T Theory. You are always looking for something that will help you refine the peak date." October 17, 201

"Money Flow Ts are probably the greatest new thing I have seen in 20 years in terms of time symmetries."
December 5, 2010.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

$$ Where We Are

Achal asked a good question:

"Do you have an update on your initial scenario (peak on Oct 27th, and a final peak later in Nov)?"

As you know, on October 13 I projected a cycle top "on or about ~October 27."  We got an intraday top on October 25 at 1196.14 at the top of the price channel.  Off that October 25 peak, instead of starting a correction all we got was a trip to the bottom of the price channel at 1172.  
























I was surprised it was not more than that, but once the channel held it was clear we were not going to get a change in trend.  The October 25 peak held until the day QE2 was announced, so I don't view that forecast of a cycle top as a complete failure. 

Today, the S&P reached the 1220 target I mentioned yesterday in historic fashion:  the S&P closed higher than its 3 standard deviation upper Bollinger Band for the first time in at least 10 years.  

In September of 2007, the S&P pinned its 3SD upper BB intraday.  What happened next was 6 days of sideways action before price rose into its October peak at the end of T12.  Likewise, in June of 2005 the S&P pinned its 3SD upper BB intraday.  It traded sideways for three days after until correcting hard.

Second, I would note that it took 51 trading sessions from the low close on Feb 8, 2010 to establish the high close on April 23, 2010.  Currently, we are at 50 trading sessions since the low close on August 26.  

As you can see from the chart above, we threw above the price channel today.  While I expect us to take a breather tomorrow, we may well get a parabolic blow off top here (as discussed below).  Note that the inverse Head & Shoulders pattern suggests a potential target at 1250:

















Likewise, here are the next Gann resistance levels to watch:

1240 is 240 degrees from the early July 1011 low
1250 is 120 degrees from the early August 1129 top

On the other hand, note the bearish divergence on the Money Flow Index.  One way or the other, this condition usually does not last long.  Price and MFI will start to mirror each other.  

On the weekly chart, we can see that we are in a steep bearish ascending wedge much like we were this Spring:

















There is also some bearish divergence on the weekly RSI.  We did, however, break through the 200 week moving average.  The 200MA had served as resistance in April. 

The T Theory Volume Oscillator shot up to 61 today.  This matches the previous peak reading on October 13.  So we have readings of 

June 15 = 134
July 26 = 124
Sept 10 = 100
Oct 13 = 61
Nov 4 = 61  

We certainly blew through the extension of the green line from 100 to 61 that was dropping at 1.7 points per day.  But Terry is the expert at interpreting the VO.  I'll leave it to him to determine whether we started a new VO T today or whether we can connect the 61s and keep that green line intact.

To answer Achal's question, recent price action while historically bullish is not inconsistent with my forecast of an end to T13 within several days either way of November 12.  This rally is long in the tooth, overcooked, and due for a serious correction.  Can I be wrong?  Certainly.

One of the things I will be watching for is the establishment of a third, steeper trend line for this move.  Parabolic moves usually come in three waves.  As you can see from the chart below, the green trend line is the shallower than the black trend line.  I anticipate that after taking a little breather, we are going to set an even steeper trend line (for example the red dotted line). 











There are usually excellent shorting opportunities available when the steepest of the three trend lines in a parabolic move fails.  But as always, manage your risk.

12 comments:

  1. one more possibility this can go wrong ..end of T13 is cycles are not in favor of it. At minimum cycles should favor uptrend upto spring or summer of next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is time to begin scaling into short equity positions on 11/5. Have the entire short position complete by 11/10.

    The equity markets may begin a staggering decline on 11/12 or 11/15 and continue for over 60 days. Hold the short position thru 1/18/2011.

    Events are about to get very crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the detailed analysis, Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Parker, that addressed many questions.

    I will note that using RSI(5) many time frame divergences were erased today. That in itself implies the move up is not complete in time although it does not require much of anything in the way of price. Also, the type of thrust we had today can't often be the end of a move. Could still be done in the anticipated time frame of ~ Nov 12, although I wouldn't make a wager on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parker

    Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. It is clear the upswing is accelerating....it will be interesting to see how high the HFT machines can take this this market by running the buy stops... I'll bet they run out of juice just above the 1220 level, but short of the 1240-1250 level.

    It has taken the machines over 2 months to move this market from the 9/1 start..watch the market give it all back in 2 weeks.

    I still have not gotten a buy signal from my momentum indicators, although it could happen tomorrow. I suspect you are also getting close. I like to think I can totally remove emotion from trades in this kind of market. but I don't think I will be able to get long this move. If I do get a buy signal, I will let you know, but I believe I will pass and wait for another opportunity to get short. I don't want to get in front of a train though by trying to predict where the top is.. I will wait until momentum changes, as per my indicators. (I don't mind giving up a few points, waiting until the market can demonstrate its new direction.)

    Make is a profitable day!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to add that the SPX is right up against the 61.8 Fib line.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parker,
    I just want to say Thank You. This is my favorite blog and one that I make sure to visit every day. Your insights are fascinating and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parker

    Kudos, Im with Steve333. Also thanks for posting all the comments on here as well. We are all adults and make our own investment/trading choices. Its refreshing to learn different facets of trading and creative ideas to test out ourselves. I hope you continue the path you are On with your blog. Good Trading.- K.L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RE: the T theory volume oscillator... IMO we have a T that started in mid June with a center post on 8/25. Time symmetry has the T ending around 11/4.

    Keep in mind that volume is a leading indicator of price change so I don't expect a change in trend just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent observation, JT. I have forwarded it to Terry for comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you say:

    "Amateur"

    you think the move in S&P is parabolic ???


    I mean, really? is that a parabola?

    Vow!!

    ReplyDelete